Neighboring rights US artists

In most countries, artists receive monies if their recordings are played on radio/TV. These monies are called neighboring rights royalties. This is different in the US where artists do get paid from digital services, but not from regular radio/TV broadcasters. So far, the powerful broadcasters’ lobby has been able to dissuade US politics from changing the law in favor of artists and labels let alone signing the most important international treaty which deals with the rights of artists, the Rome Convention.
Because of US broadcasters not paying royalties towards artists, most foreign countries refuse to pay out neighboring rights royalties to US artists. A source of frustration to them, as these foreign royalties could otherwise have been substantial. That being said, the foreign situation sounds more grim than it actually is. Fortunately, there are some countries who pay royalties to US artists regardless and there are others where US recordings qualify for neighboring rights if certain criteria are met. For instance if you record outside the US, have a dual citizenship, or have signed up with a non-US label to name just a few. To an outsider it can look like a black box, but Zanoise knows where which criteria work and how and also what is required by the collecting societies as evidence.